Thursday, March 18, 2010

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. The Promotional Kit Logo Part IV

Having a logo to identify your business is amazingly important these days. Amazingly important.It is an instant icon reminding people who you are and what you represent.

If you own your own record label, spend the time to get a logo designed by a graphic designer who will put some serious thought behind the concept of what you intend to do for the long term.

I LOVE my graphic designers, Leisa and D'Lanie at Jailhousegraphics.com. Not only do they do fabulous work, but they made me sit down and go through a series of questions about who I am, what I wanted to accomplish, what the overall strategy was for the design concept, even what kind of colors I prefer over other palettes. Very smart move on their part. What happened overall was what I thought I wanted didn't work at all; and they saved all of us a bunch of headaches going through
too much time and wasted effort.

All too often, I see companies and business people changing their images when they've already trained me to look for a certain visual image. It's happening way too often these days. Changing up your branded identity
over and over again ensures people will overlook potentially important information.

One of the most brilliant things I've seen done in music was created by Will Ackerman, the founder of
Windham Hill Records. When his independent label took off, he personally oversaw the design of each
CD cover. There was a recurring them in each image that branded his label over and above the genre, which made the label instantly recognizable. Another boutique independent label that follows the same ideology is Palm Records. Each and every album they put out has the same quality feeling in the cover art regardless of the artist on the recording.  Their products are instantly recognizable and I know for certain I am getting the best quality product in the style of music they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment